Things You Never Knew About Homeowner Insurance

Most people know that homeowner insurance will cover their home in the event that a fire or tornado damages their home. Most also know that homeowner insurance will cover your belongings inside of your home as well if something like that occurs.

However there is so much more your homeowner insurance will protect you from. There are many unexpected life events that can affect you and your family that homeowner insurance will step in and protect you and your pocket book.

That is why I reached out to our friends at Armed Forces Insurance to ask them, what are some of the coverages the average person might not know were covered or could be covered their homeowner insurance.

Our friends at Armed Forces Insurance have been helping military families with homeowner insurance for over 130 years. Below is some information regarding the things you never knew about your homeowner insurance.

All Natural Disasters Are Not Covered (But There Are Ways To Add Coverage)

Though a homeowner insurance will cover a lot of different claim situations, it does not cover all of them. Most homeowner policies will exclude certain natural disasters like earthquakes and flood. It is always good to check and make sure you are not in one of these areas that is prone to earthquake and/or flood damage. The good news is that if you are in one of these areas, there are special insurance policies or endorsements you can add to protect your home in case one of these excluded events occurs.

Dog Bite Damages

Most everyone loves dogs. I know I do. Unfortunately dogs, like anyone else, can have bad days. The CDC estimates that 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year. Over half of those occur at homes where the dog is familiar with the victim.  If your dog happens to cause injury to another person by biting them or maybe they just injure them by knocking them down. Your homeowner insurance will likely pay for the medical costs and court fees if you are sued up to a certain dollar amount.

Small Boats

Home insurance covers liability claims from small boats? You bet it can. Though there are limitations and not all boats are covered. Your homeowner insurance can cover small boats and watercraft like canoes, sailboats smaller than 26 feet, and boats with motors less than 25 horsepower. Though insurance will not cover that brand new 200 HP fishing/skiing boat or jet skis. If you do have a small watercraft, it is very likely your homeowner insurance will cover the liability if you injure someone or damage their property.

Dorm Room Property

Have a child going away to college who is living in a dorm? What is the best way to protect their personal property? Well, your homeowner insurance policy may help. Your homeowner policy may protect your child’s belongings the same as if they were in your home. Check with your agent as each policy will have coverage limitations.

Items In Storage

Like many military families, you may have items in storage. Your homeowner policy may also protect your property in a storage facility. Most policies will cover 10% of your personal property value, listed on your homeowner insurance policy, for items not stored in your home.

Falling Objects

This event may seem unlikely and even laughable, but, it can and does happen. If objects fall from the sky, it is very likely that your homeowner insurance will cover the damage to your home and personal property. What objects you ask? Well, it could be anything from airplane debris meteorites, or drones that come out of nowhere can damage your home.

Fallen Trees

A question that we get asked all the time is: What happens if my neighbor’s tree falls on my house or car? Your home insurance may cover the damage it your neighbors insurance does not. As for your car, that will be covered under your car’s comprehensive policy.


Accidents can happen, not just in a car, but in or around your home as well. If they do, that is why your homeowner insurance has liability coverage. The liability coverage is there to protect you if someone is injured in or on your property. Maybe it is someone out walking their dog and they trip on a crack in your side walk, or they trip over a rake that is left out in the back yard. Your homeowner’s liability coverage is there to help pay for medical expenses and even legal fees if you are sued.

Food And Lodging Costs

What happens if you are displaced from your home due to a claim? Where are you going to stay while the damage is being repaired? Do not worry. Your homeowner policy has coverage available to help you with those lodging and food expenses if a claim forces you from your home. Keep your receipts and contact your claims adjuster and they can assist you in making sure your life is minimally disrupted.

Food Spoilage

Speaking of food. What happens if a storm causes damage to your home and knocks out the power causing the food in your refrigerator/freezer to spoil? Well, your homeowner policy may have options to help cover you in the event that occurs. Many policies have an endorsement that can be added to help reimburse you up to $500 in case a storm, fire, or other covered event knocks out the power to your home.

Service Lines

Did you know as a homeowner the service lines that run from your house to the street are your responsibility? This means that if a tree root grows through your sewer line and breaks it, you are the one who has to pay to fix it not the city. The good news is most homeowner policies have an endorsement you can add to help cover the expense of repair if this occurs to one of your service lines.

Equipment Breakdown

Another endorsement that can be added to the policy is an equipment breakdown endorsement. This endorsement can help protect your pocket book if your air conditioner, furnace, or water heater have a sudden mechanical or electrical breakdown. Though normal use and wear and tear are not covered, this endorsement can be an inexpensive way to ensure that if your big ticket appliances experience a sudden mechanical or electrical issue, your homeowner policy could help assist with the repair or replacement of that unit.

As you can see, your homeowner insurance does a lot more than just protect you if a fire or storm damages your home. A homeowner policy can do a lot to help protect your family in many of life’s situations. As always, it is best to check your policy and discuss what your policy does and does not cover with your insurance agent. Be sure to reach out to your insurance agent and review your policy to make sure it has the right coverage for you.

Those are just a few tips from Armed Forces Insurance regarding homeowner insurance coverage that you may not have known you have or could get. For a more tips on this and other topics, head over to Armed Forces Insurance – Resources and Tools page or give them a call at 1-800-313-1936.


As a military family, you need insurance that matches your needs and protects what you value most. You deserve an insurance company that is committed to serving you. MilHousing Network is proud to partner with Armed Forces Insurance to bring military families reliable homeowner’s insurance options when buying a home. Contact them today at 800-313-1936 or visit to learn how they can support your unique military lifestyle.