Home to Fort Carson, Peterson AFB, Schriever Space Force Base and the Air Force Academy – you have the luck of the draw when landing in Colorado! We scoured the internet, read many blogs & spoke to a handful of people who have been stationed there and we have quite the list of Must Do’s & See’s in Colorado Springs!
Peterson Air & Space Museum
The Peterson Air & Space Museum started as the NORAD Visitor Center! The Edward J. Peterson Air and Space Museum is one of only 12 United States Air Force Field museums! Visit the Warning Star, an airborne early warning and control aircraft from the 1950’s then head over and see early generation satellites, a Peacekeeper Missile and you can even launch a simulator used to train combat crews in the Old City Hangar.
Michael Garman’s Magic Town is a 3,000 square-foot miniature city that transports you back to the mid-20th century. It is a 1/6th scale miniaturized urban neighborhood, complete with dozens of handcrafted buildings, alleyways, and sidewalks that is a combination of hundreds of intricately-detailed sculptures and cityscapes. The city scene includes holograms and other visual and sound effects.
Explore this quirky mountain town known for its mineral springs, art galleries, and unique shops.
The Broadmoor Seven Falls
Hike up incredible waterfalls, enjoy the beautiful surrounding and Instagram worthy views! Visitors can expect to spend two to three hours exploring the seven falls and while it is a moderately challenging route – the trail is beautiful to visit at any time of year! When you’re done head on over to the Bear Creek Nature Center for opportunities to learn and see varying plants and wildlife!
Old Colorado City
Take a stroll through this charming historic district with an array of shops, galleries and restaurants!
Garden of the Gods & Nature Center
Explore stunning rock formations and hiking trails that are suitable for family members of all ages! Each of the rock formations has its own name and history! Don’t want to hike? Book a Jeep, Trolley, Segway, Bike or E-bike and have a go! Enjoy rock climbing? Here’s your chance to do so! Have a question about how those Red Rocks got there? Round out your trop by stopping at the Geo-Trekker Theatre – shows run every 20 minutes! Don’t believe us? Google it! The pictures will convince you!
Want a getaway? Great Wolf Lodge is a one stop shop for indoor water park fun, themed activities and the opportunity to lounge around and relax! You just can’t go wrong!
Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center
For the dinosaur lover in your family, head on over to this resource center and find displays of dinosaurs, reptiles and fish from the late Cretaceous period! Have younger ones? They can enjoy finding fossils, ask questions and enjoy learning about all things dinosaurs.
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Zoo trips are a family favorite and the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is on my list! Enjoy, interact and learn about all of the beautiful things this world has to offer with over 30 species of endangered animals and breathtaking views! Cheyenne Zoo is the #4 Best Zoo in North America! You can watch the Giraffe Cams from anywhere in the world! From family programs to evening tours – you cannot go wrong, no matter what time of day you visit! And the best part? It’s a mountainside!
North Pole: Santa’s Workshop
A Christmas-themed amusement park that goes year round? Yes! Ride the antique car, hop on the skyride or take a train ride, visit the shops, take a picture with Santa, watch custom ornaments happen before your eyes! The opportunities are endless!
Now what kind of blog would this be if we didn’t include food, right?
- Summit has a rotating, floor-to-ceiling wine cellar – need we say more? Enjoy chic and contemporary American cuisine!
- Four by Brother Luck – Upscale restaurant inspired by the Southwest! (Bobby Flay loved this place. In case you needed more of a reason!)
- Lucky Dumpling – a sister restaurant to Four, you’ll enjoy Asian Fusion cuisine! He’s completed multiple times on Top Chef and sources say the dumplings are absolutely incredible.
- Milagro’s Cocina Mexicana where authentic family recipes meet Colorado fare for a meal you won’t forget!
- Juniper Valley Ranch – an iconic Colorado staple where you can grab food for the soul! Reservations are a must but SO worth it when you are enjoying an amazing chicken fried steak with handmade biscuits and apple butter.
- Homa Cafe + Bar has a menu that is to die for! All day food with local ingredients inspired by the world with a Colorado twist!
- Denver Biscuit CO one of the must visit breakfast places.
- And last, but not least, Odyssey Gastropub has an outdoor patio where you get to enjoy food and the views! Great breakfast with great views!
Whatever you choose, however long you’re visiting you are bound to find your own hidden gems too! If you do, come back and share them with us!
My name is Sasha Hernández-Ticali and I’m a PCS Mentor with MilHousing Network. I’m a military spouse stationed with my family in Maryland. When I’m not working, I’m cooking, dancing & enjoying time well spent with family and friends.