Fun Activities For The End Of The School YearMay 17, 2023
Summer Reading ListJune 1, 2023
Memorial Day is just around the corner and the barbecues are gearing up! We’re bringing you some tried and true (and some new!) recipe recommendations to round up your meal planning!
- Grilled Corn Salad: Cut the kernels off four ears of corn and grill them for a few minutes until they start to char. Mix with a diced red pepper, a diced red onion, a handful of chopped cilantro, and the juice of one lime. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pro Tip: Add your favorite cheese! Cotija is a fan-favorite!
- Classic Potato Salad: Boil 2 pounds of potatoes until they’re fork-tender. Cool and chop them into bite-sized pieces. Mix with 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, 1/4 cup of chopped green onions, 1 tablespoon of mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pro Tip: I add butter when I’m boiling my potatoes!
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad: Slice 2 cucumbers and 4 large tomatoes and mix them together in a bowl. Add 1/4 cup of chopped red onion, 1/4 cup of chopped parsley, and the juice of 1 lemon. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pro Tip: Add a few red pepper flakes or some hot sauce for a little extra kick!
- Grilled Vegetable Skewers: Cut your favorite vegetables (such as zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, peppers, and onions) into bite-sized pieces and thread them onto skewers. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until tender and slightly charred.
- Pro Tip: A little lemon spritz on top brings all the flavors together!
- Watermelon and Feta Salad: Cut a small watermelon into bite-sized pieces and mix with 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese, 1/4 cup of chopped mint leaves, and the juice of 1 lime. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pro Tip: None! Enjoy this as is 😉
Enjoy your Memorial Day celebration with these delicious side dishes!
My name is Sasha Hernández-Ticali and I’m a PCS Mentor with MilHousing Network. I’m a military spouse stationed with my family in Maryland. When I’m not working, I’m cooking, dancing & enjoying time well spent with family and friends.