It’s that time again, and if you’re on the Elf on the Shelf train you will want to stick by and grab an idea – or four – from our list below. We scoured the internet for our favorite ideas, and we’re sharing our absolute favorites!
What exactly is Elf on the Shelf? These special little elves travel to and from the North Pole to let Santa & his elves know if you’ve been nice or naughty. Once they get back, they’re in a new place everyday. Some days they’re helpful, some days not so much, but we can all agree that the creativity sparks joy, laughter and fun everywhere!
- It’s time for a Hot Cocoa Party. Hot cocoa, marshmallows and our elf? Sign us up! We’re adding extra marshmallows to ours!
- Did someone say Scrabble? We sure did – a quick way to send a message with the elf! It’s great for emerging readers, too!
- Traffic Jam. If you’ve acquired a bunch of hot wheels and matchbox cars – this is right up your alley. Line them up & have your little elf block the way!
- Christmas Tree TP. The last couple of sheets on that toilet paper roll? Grab it & TP your tree! Put your Elf in the roll; the kids will have a hoot when they wake up and see that mess!
- Those legos you stepped on last night? Use them and build a seat or fortress for Santa’s little helper.
- Dino-RAWR! Your elf is off on a crazy T-Rex ride!
- Is it snowing? This one can get a little messy, but we love it! Grab some flour & your Elf can make a snow angel or two!
- Board Elf! Grab an old game or bring out a new one & the Elf can show them how to play.. Maybe?
- All Aboard the Shoe-Shoe train! Grab shoes, line them up and your Elf is on the way with all their friends.
- Snow, Snow, Snow! Do you have a ceiling fan? Ready for some magic? Grab little pieces of paper scrunched up into small balls & line the ceiling fan blades. When your kids turn on the light and the fan begins, you’ll see their faces light up as they see their elf on top and it’s snowing.
- Who put the Elf in the Cookie Jar? We know Christmas cookies are a world-wide tradition. Put your Elf upside down with their head in the cookie jar!
- Snow Excited! Bring back your childhood by cutting up paper into snowflakes! Tape them onto the windows & place your Elf in front with child-scissors. Safety is important after all!
- I miss the North Pole. Your house might be warmer than what your Elf is used to, set him in the freezer with a note saying “I missed the North Pole!” or “This feels so much better!”
- Bubble Bath. Elf has been working hard and a bubble bath sounds perfect! Grab some cotton balls or marshmallows and place them in your sink. Elf is taking a break.
And last, but not least – for his last night.
- A “Going Away” Party. Fun has been had and the time has come for Elf to return back to the North Pole. Invite some of the friends your elf has played with, play music, have games out & have your favorite cookies!
The internet has endless ideas, printables, accessories and more! We found some favorite hashtags to find even more inspiration and fun! Do you have a favorite Elf on the Shelf idea or tradition? We’d love to hear them!
Happy Holidays from your MilHousing Network Team!